Thursday, July 12, 2012

The First List of Excellent Books

Before getting to my list of the latest books I've read that I can rave about, you need to realize what kind of books you like to read. Do you like fast-paced books? Action-packed books? Romantic books? Really think about what you enjoy reading.

You should always give books a good try, too. Don't give up after three pages. If you really hate it after two chapters, toss it. That's all right - you shouldn't waste your time if you aren't enjoying it. Also, it might not be the right time for reading that particular book for you. I tried to read Slaughterhouse 5 when I was a sophomore in high school and I couldn't get into it. I read it last year and devoured it in three hours. It all depends on what kind of mood you're in and where you are in your life. Keep that in mind.

So here is my first good book list:


Wild by Cheryl Strayed - I know that this true story is widely publicized now (so you probably already know you should read it from all the rave reviews) but I read it several months ago and it is really incredible. (Now Oprah's all about it, of course). It follows the journey of a young married girl, Cheryl, who has just lost her mother to cancer. Her marriage falls apart and she believes the only way to heal herself from all of this is to hike the Pacific Crest Trail alone, which runs from Mexico to Oregon. Cheryl's story is fascinating, heartbreaking, and terrifying. I read it in two days, unable to put it down.


All Woman And Springtime by Brandon W. Jones - This is a particularly intense book that is hard to read only because of the subject matter. It's a story about two North Korean girls who are sold into the sex trafficking industry in South Korea and later to America. It's a dark and cruel world, especially through the viewpoints of these young girls who know next to nothing about the world. It will keep you interested, though it is graphic.



The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - This is a young adult novel by a wonderful author, but I believe this is his best work yet. Stories about teens with cancer can be difficult to read. This one is an exception because it's filled with sarcastic, bold young characters. I can't say anything more except that it's a delight filled with young love, life, and the impossible becoming real. And it's a quick read!


The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson - This book reminds me of a Wes Anderson film. It's about a dysfunctional-ish family with strange, yet artful priorities. The parents are into performance art and their two children become part of that performance once they are brought into the world. The daughter becomes an actress, the son a struggling writer. An excellent read about sibling fellowship.


Those are all I'm going to give you for today - next time I'll be making a list of books that aren't worth your time.
Let me know if you agree (or not!) with me on these books! Or drop me a line if you want to recommend a book.



2 comments:

  1. well PERSONALLY i wud half 2 rekommend the twilight bookz.

    ReplyDelete