Monday, August 12, 2013

My Favorite Book of the Year (thus far)

Eleanor and Park 

This book is both heart-wrenching and uplifting at the same time, which has made it one of my favorite books of the year (thus far, of course). Eleanor is teenager, growing up in a very difficult situation (I don't want to spoil anything!) packed into a rundown shack with her mom, stepfather, and several brothers and sisters. 
Park is a boy growing up in a differently difficult situation, however, he has his own room, and his parents are always there for him. The two meet on the bus ride to school. Their attraction for each other grows in such a sweet and tender way that I could not stop reading this book for a second. I loved the parallels drawn between girl and boy, rich and poor, school and home, and mostly between the love and hate that occurs in both Eleanor and Park's lives. 

Also I love the name Rainbow Rowell. Also I cried at the end of this book. That is all.

2 comments: